Want to inspire action on the climate crisis?
Calling all metro NYC high school students! Join Climate Speaks, a youth creative writing and performance program about the climate crisis.
Around the world, young people are rising together to meet the climate crisis. Youth voices are changing our world for the better. Climate Speaks presents an opportunity for you to join in and make a difference.
The Climate Speaks program has three main components.
- Workshops: First, you have the chance to learn about the climate crisis and how to use creative writing to inspire action. You'll attend two free workshops: one about climate and its intersections with social justice and one about writing. Workshop participants will be invited to submit an original climate-themed writing piece to be considered for selection to continue the program.
- Competition: If your work is selected, you’ll get intensive, free performance coaching and mentoring and the chance to rehearse and audition to join the Climate Speaks final performance cohort.
- Performance: Third, members of the final performance cohort will receive additional coaching to prepare for a series of small performances across the city as well as a major final performance!
Beginners are welcome!
We’ve seen newcomers take the stage and hold a room rapt after just a few coaching sessions. Throughout the history of social progress, young people have had a central role in moving the world forward. Your voice is transformative.
Climate Speaks is presented in partnership with the NYC Department of Education Office of Sustainability and with special thanks to Urban Word NYC, as well as The New York Public Library, the Brooklyn Public Library, the DreamYard Project, Snug Harbor Cultural Center and Botanical Gardens, and the Jamaica Center for Arts and Learning.
Who is eligible?
You must meet the following criteria in order to register for a Climate Speaks workshop:
- You must be enrolled in and attending high school in Spring 2020.
- You must live in the New York Metropolitan area.
For more program details, visit climatespeaks.org and follow @climatespeaks on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
WORKSHOP REGISTRATION PORTAL
This form allows you to register your interest for workshops. Students selected for participation in the workshops will be sent an email confirming their spot in the workshops.
Jan. 20th update: Workshops are still open in Brooklyn and Queens only!
Students who attend both a climate and writing workshop will gain access to the portal to apply to the semifinals.
For any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org